The University provides basic furniture and many other conveniences. However, you will need to bring or consider purchasing upon arrival the following items:
- Home Away From Home Supplies
- Recreation & Relaxation
- Academic Supplies
- Weather Or Not
- Those Usually Forgotten Extras
- What Not To Bring
- Photo Identification – You will not be able to receive an SU I.D. card without a picture I.D. (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
- Immunization Records
- Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, or Working Papers
- Medical Insurance I.D. card
- Renter’s Insurance – recommended
- Money to purchase textbooks
- Cell phone
Home Away From Home Supplies:
- Fan(s) – building is air conditioned
- Comforter/pillow/sheets (twin size, x-long)
- Small rug for decoration
- Backrest/lap desk
- Wastepaper basket
- Alarm clock
- Hangers for the closet
- Memo board for your door
- Personal expense money (e.g., travelers checks, ATM cards, checkbook) see also “Cash, credit cards, bank account” under Those Usually Forgotten Extras.
- Iron/ironing board
- Coaxial cable for TV connection
- Refrigerator (less than 5 cubic feet)
- Microwave (less than 2,000 watts)
Recreation & Relaxation
- Secure locks for bicycles
- Bicycle registration (students must register bicycles with the Office of Public Safety.)
- Bathing suit
- Dress attire
- Sports equipment (baseball and glove, basketball, football, tennis racket)
- Playing cards, games
- Personal stereo, iPod; headphones recommended; speakers MUST be appropriately sized for a residence hall room)
- Favorite DVDs
Academic Supplies *
- Bulletin board
- Pens/pencils/pencil holder/pencil sharpener
- Desk lamp/light bulbs
- Stapler/staples/paper clips
- Book bag
- Calculator/computer **
Weather or Not
- Water repellent boots and shoes
- Light sweater, jacket, and raincoat
Those Usually Forgotten Extras
- Basket to carry amenities to the bathroom
- Laundry detergent and laundry basket
- Shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, etc.
- Quarters for laundry
- Bathrobe, slippers, flip-flops
- Shower shoes
- Insect repellent
- Hair dryer
- Snack stash
- Can opener
- Small cooler
- Musical instrument (Think about playing in the Talent show!)
- Cash, Credit Cards, Bank Account ***.
P.S. If you do forget, these items are usually available at the Syracuse University Bookstore and from other nearby stores.
Things Not To Bring
- Appliances ****. Only refrigerators less than 5 cubic feet and microwaves less than 1,000 watts are permitted. Air conditioners, hot-plates, grills (including “George Foreman” grills), space heaters, etc. are not permitted.
- Candles, incense, etc.
- Console TVs
- Firearms, weapons, and fireworks
- Extension cords
- Halogen lamps and multi-headed floor lamps
- Large pieces of furniture
- Expensive or irreplaceable collectables or jewelry
As a general rule: If it generates heat, leave it at home!
Things to Note:
- The cost of textbooks and educational supplies is estimated to be $200 – $250. If you would like to establish an account at the bookstore, please contact them at 315-443-9900 or email@example.com.
- Network ports are available in each room free of charge. See http://its.syr.edu/connecting/ for information on connecting to the network. Laptop ports are available in Bird Library and wireless service is available in many locations. See http://its.syr.edu/wireless for more information.
- You are encouraged to open a bank account upon arrival if you do not already have one. We strongly encourage you not to keep large amounts of cash in your room. Local banks include: Chase Bank and First Niagara Bank. Your academic counselor can discuss other options with you.
- Small microwave/refrigerator combinations are available for a nominal rental fee through the SU bookstore at http://bookweb.syr.edu (Specialty Services/Rentals). A small microwave is available in the lounge on each floor.
- Storage will be available between the end of the program and the beginning of fall term. For storage options, please check with http://www.mylazybones.com/splash.php